Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cabernet Butter-Braised Beef Shank

 At the store the other day, beef shanks were on sale for a surprisingly great price, so I picked two up and pondered the best way to cook them. The first one became acquainted with my indoor grill--just like a steak. I found out soon enough that beef shank is NOT intended for fast, hot cooking. I took a couple days to think on it, and soon knew what it should become. The result was extremely hearty, rich, and earthy. The juices of the beef combined with the deep, red wine reduction for a decadent main course. As I ate, I spread a softened garlic clove on each bite, savoring the subtle sweetness. Try it. You'll see what I mean!

INGREDIENTS:
Beef Shank, about 2" thick
4 TBS butter
1 bulb garlic, divided into peeled cloves
About 1/2 bottle of your favorite Cabernet Sauvignon
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch each of thyme, oregano, and parsley


You will also need a large, deep skillet/saucepan with lid that fits.

1) Melt the butter on medium heat in a deep skillet until lightly bubbling.

2) Season the beef shank with sea salt, black pepper, and herbs.

3) Put the whole cloves of garlic into the pan with the butter.
4) Add the beef shank and let simmer lightly, browning both sides.

4) Pour the wine into the pan and cover.

5) Allow to simmer slowly, flipping occasionally, on medium heat for 2 hours until it falls apart from the bone and is tender.
6) Uncover, turn up heat to med-high, and allow the juices to reduce until thick.

7) Serve, drizzled with the reduced pan juices and super-softened garlic cloves. Don't forget to try a garlic clove spread onto a bite of meat. It's delish!

1 comment:

  1. Well this is happening tonight, I just bought a beef shank for the same reason, but it's just me and all the other recipes i've seen call for like 4 pounds of beefs shanks... I have about 8 oz. lol Thanks for the single serving inspiration!

    ReplyDelete